Dr. Maurice J. Freedman
Westchester Library System
410 Saw Mill River Road
Ardsley, New York 10549
tel: +1 914-231-3223 fax: +1 914-674-4185
- Director, Westchester (NY) Library System.
Manages cooperative library service agency of approximately 50 staff,
serving 38 public libraries and a population of 875,000; includes
the management of technology, bibliographic control, ILL, age level
consultation, and a variety of outreach services. Has management
responsibility for implementing and operating WESTLYNX, an online
circulation, catalog, Web gateway, and database services system;
500 online PCs at 43 sites on a frame-relay telecommunications network.
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Pratt Institute, SILS.
- Associate Professor, School of Library Service, Columbia University.
Taught, did research and published in the areas of technology, technical
services and cataloging. 1977-1982.
- Coordinator, Technical Services, Branch Libraries, New York
Managed technical services staff of about 100 people, and processing
of 500,000 volumes. 1974-1977.
- Director, Technical Services Division, Hennepin (MN) County
Managed technical services and automation staff of 60 people; processed
about 150,000 volumes. Created an innovative user-oriented nationally
recognized technology and cataloging program 1969-1974.
- Manager, Library Processing, Information Dynamics Corporation,
Managed automation and technical services staff for contract processing
for NASA's Electronic Research Center, Cambridge, MA., Polaroid
Corporation, and others. 1968-1969.
- Administrative Officer and subsequently Executive Assistant,
Processing Department, Library of Congress.
Part of the management team responsible for 1500 employees and all
Library of Congress acquisitions, cataloging and processing. 1966-1968.
- Outstanding Library School Graduate Special Recruit Internship,
Library of Congress.
Worked six months in most of the library departments and divisions
of LC. 1965-1966.
CONSULTING and PUBLISHING
- Publisher, U*N*A*B*A*S*H*E*D Librarian(tm).
- Consulted, gave speeches, or attended meetings in more
than half of the states in the U.S. and in Canada. Includes consulting
for libraries in North America, Europe, Africa and Asia; most recently
consulted for the National Library of Latvia and the research libraries
of Latvia regarding the implementation of information technology;
and, a major networking and technology study for the California
State Library in 1993-1994.
- Published primarily on technology, management, and technical
services issues; Connection Development: Web Lessons from Westchester…
in Library Journal; an invited paper in the Centenary Issue of Library
Journal; and three separate years, selected for the Best of Library
- Edited: The Nature and Future of the Catalog; and Five
Circulation System Case Studies.
- On editorial board of: Public Library Quarterly; and Advanced